Go To Great Panes, Kathryn Maloney ©2009
Visit our Etsy shop: GoTo
You may have noticed that Google Base’s slow processing of scheduled feeds still hasn’t been fixed, and many feeds are a week or so behind. Here’s a way to update your stock manually while you wait for the scheduler slow down issue to be fixed by Google–manual feeds may take up to 24 hours to process because of the slow down, but it’s better than just waiting for the scheduled feed.
This fix assumes you’ve already set up your Google Base Data feed using the Etsy RSS method.
Download Your Shop’s Info
1. Go to your Etsy shop’s public view, (the little yellow and white ‘storefront’ icon at the top right of every Etsy page).
On the right, at the bottom of your shop info you’ll see a blue link that says Subscribe to shop feed.
2. Right-click on the link and select “Save linked content as”, “Save link as”, “Save target as”–or whatever is similar in your browser’s pop-up menu. (Don’t left click–it won’t get you what you need.)
Mac users: use CTRL-Click for the right-click function
3. The “save” or “save as” window will pop up–at the top of the window it allows you to save it as a file to your computer.
- A. In the top box use the drop down menu choose where on your computer you would like to save your feed file. Save the file in any folder you’d like, just be sure you know how to get to it on your computer after you have downloaded it. Some have chosen to save it to the desktop so they are sure to be able to find it. We save ours in our Etsy folder.
- B. Name the file the same thing as your current feed, no matter what it currently says in the box. If you have the option in the second box of selecting xml as the file type, do so, otherwise ‘all files’ should be fine. Be sure the .xml is at the end of the file name, if not–type it in.
- We have two Etsy shops, named GoTo and GoToSupplies so we have two feeds, our feeds are named:
Upload Your Shop’s Info to Google Base
4. Go to the Google Base Data feeds page: http://www.google.com/base/bulkuploads
5. There you should see your currently scheduled feed, and under the Uploads column you should see Manual: upload file. Click the “upload file” link and a window will pop up.
6. Click the Choose button–it pops open a window that allows you to access your computer folders. Go to the folder that has the feed you saved and double click the file name. The file location will now be in the manual upload window, click the Upload and process this file button.
7. This should result in the file being uploaded to Google Base. The Last upload date & status column should now say “Processing”.
It can take a few minutes or up to 24 hours to process your file.
After the Upload
See these Google Base “Frequently Asked Question” posts for what to expect next:
Visit our Etsy shop: GoToSupplies